Monday

I love going barefoot and that's no secret to anyone that's known me for more than three days. In fact, I love going barefoot so much that it's earned me the nickname "River" among my friends. (River Tam, from Firefly for those of you that might get the reference).

I got bored earlier and started looking at wedding related stuff (okay, so I was watching TLC and I got kinda inspired). That turned into realizing that I will probably walk down the aisle barefoot. Of course, I had to look at laws regarding barefootness.. and to my surprise, it is legal to drive barefoot (YES) and entering public places barefoot is totally legal too. So you know what I'm going to do with much more frequency?

Leave the house.

But in all seriousness, I do want to go out barefoot a little more often. I think it would be fun.

I also don't understand why it's so socially unacceptable to be barefoot. I love the feel of the earth on my soles and the construct of shoes just feels unnatural. Maybe I'm a slight hippie at heart, but I hate shoes. I can barely stand them in the summer when all I wear are flipflops and flats... now imagine winter when I have to wear socks and actual shoes on top of that! Needless to say, I mourn very heavily the first week of truly cold weather.

I wish that it was safer to go around cities and such barefoot. I mean, there's the danger of glass and other sharp objects which, if you are careful, you can avoid. I would much rather like to roam around freely and not have to worry about. I understand that feet can get dirty (I'm so guilty of coming home with black feet), but that can hardly be avoided. It's unlikely though, that actual diseases are contracted through the feet. Half the problem with walking around barefoot is people go and put wet feet into closed toed shoes!

Another thing about shoes. Mine almost always smell because my feet sweat. It's an unfortunate fact of life, and I know I'm not alone. That's why more often than not, I am barefoot in the summer. I simply despise shoes. However, flats are about the next best thing if I have to conform. I go through them like crazy because I practically destroy them with how I walk/run/stand and so on. I was made to be barefoot.

I think it's easier on my joints if I do everything barefoot. Sure I'm extremely short, but I can manage on tip toes. Not a huge deal, all in all.

Maybe the only shoes I like to wear (if only for a short time) are high heels. It's mostly because they make me feel tall, confident, and depending on the heel... kinda sexy. But that's usually not for too long. I abandon heels ASAP.

So, my consensus? MORE BARE FEET! I am going to strive to be barefoot as often as possible. Obviously in my profession and studies, I won't be able to do that for fear of actually losing my feet... Chemistry deals with some fantastically dangerous stuff. But I'm going to try and throw off the social construct. Within reason, of course. I don't think I'm about to go on a date barefoot any time soon...

 He must become greater; I must become less.
    -- John 3:30

No comments: